After some discussion a proposal was made on the xPL forums to add fragmentation so the message size limit could be bypassed. The schema for this is ‘fragment.basic’ and support for it has been added to the xPL library for .NET in version 5.4.
There are some other minor updates too, check the changelog for those.
xPLLib for .NET is available for download on the xPLLib page
I’ve recently turned to WireShark to do some network analysis but found tracking the bits and bytes of xPL not too easy, though still not difficult. But when I read that WireShark can be extended using Lua, I started fiddling around with that to see how I could get xPL support in WireShark. And this post is about the results…
The ‘dissector’ I wrote (download is below) will examine xPL packets, and dissect them into the underlying components. This allows you to use WireSharks filtering capabilities to find just the xPL messages you need. Beyond that it will analyze the structure of the messages received and validate that against the xPL protocol, flagging any malformed messages. Continue reading
In my attempt to further automate my home, I’m trying to create UPnP devices for my appliances. The simplest examples are power switches and lights that can be controlled using the UPnP protocol. Obviously that’s not very user friendly, so I decided to experiment with a webinterface for the interaction, while keeping the UPnP functionality. The UPnP part can then be connected to the RFXcom devices for actually controlling my X10 and HomeEasy equipment (still working on my DevCom project for the hardware connection part) Continue reading