Updates and bugfixes for the UPnP gateway and xPLGirder

Today I uploaded yet another update for the gateway and xPLGirder component. Mike C put it to the test and had a list findings, most are resolved now. Besides those bugfixes the component now also uses lua events (based on the component model) besides the regular Girder events. This should make it easier to develop lua code that works with the xPL component.

UPnP bugfix for xPL gateway and xPLGirder

Here’s another update of the gateway and the xPLGirder component. It had a nasty (and hard to find) bug, which took me nearly a day to find and fix (fixing was actually 1 minute). There is also a functional update (to the xPLGirder plugin) that accompanies the bugfix; if for some reason the announcement of a UPnP device does not complete, this is now detected and any missing elements will be re-requested.

UPnP gateway and xPLGirder update

A few days ago I updated the gateway (I even gave it its own page now) and the xPLGirder component (the only client for the gateway so far). On the Girder forum there are now some users experimenting with it and it seems to be working pretty well. It already outperformed an IR controller 🙂

Great to see it finally comes to a use beyond just me!

Some updates; xPLLib and WireShark xPL dissector

Today I posted some long overdue updates. Quite some time ago it was agreed to loosen up the xPL protocol with regard to the values in the xPL message body.

From pure ASCII it now allows UTF8 encoding for the values (keys remain ASCII only). At the same time the length restriction of 128 characters was lifted, which basically means that the value can be as long as the overall message size supports (which is set at 1500 bytes).

So todays updates are the xPLLib for .NET, version 5.3, updated to allow these changes and the WireShark dissector, version 1.1, which will now show a warning (for backward compatibility) in cases of UTF8 and long values.

There are some other minor updates too, check the changelog for those.

Continue reading

WireShark xPL dissector; a network protocol analyzer

I’ve recently turned to WireShark to do some network analysis but found tracking the bits and bytes of xPL not too easy, though still not difficult. But when I read that WireShark can be extended using Lua, I started fiddling around with that to see how I could get xPL support in WireShark. And this post is about the results…

The ‘dissector’ I wrote (download is below) will examine xPL packets, and dissect them into the underlying components. This allows you to use WireSharks filtering capabilities to find just the xPL messages you need. Beyond that it will analyze the structure of the messages received and validate that against the xPL protocol, flagging any malformed messages. Continue reading

RFXmitter is up-and-running, bye-bye X10

This week I finalized the serial driver for the RFXmitter by RFXcom. When requesting some info on their devices, I got a request to develop a Lua based driver for the device to be used with Girder. So I got the device (for a serious discount🙂) and coded the whole thing in Lua. And now the first version is released. Most likely not bug-free, as I don’t have most of the supported hardware, so couldn’t test all of it. Continue reading

Girder network check

Due to my ISP having their own (unstable) modem hardware, I needed to come up with something that would reset my internet connection when it failed. After 2 trips during which the connection failed and I could no longer access my homeserver (email, archive, etc.) I put together a Girder plugin (based on Tree Script, with Lua code) to handle this. Continue reading