It’s been a while, but some major additions have been made to the UPnP gateway engine. Previously the engine would parse xml description files to generate objects. Now it includes both an xml factory and a device factory that generate everything on the fly.
The code now includes a BinaryLight and a DimmableLight (both standardized DCPs), they are based on standardized services SwitchPower and Dimming (also included). Implementing a fully functional DimmableLight device now only takes 4 lines of code; Continue reading
Just posting this as I’ll be away for a couple of weeks, so what did I fix since last post;
- Todo: UPnP security service has not been implemented (must have!)
- Todo: Some of the wrapper code (mutexes, waithandles and sockets) are not complete for all platforms yet, currently it only runs on Windows, but this should be limited as the wrappers themselves have all been created already
Todo: Solid logger, as its designed to be used in the background without an interface, it must provide solid logging, even if only for troubleshooting and debugging
- Todo: Serial library; currently network connections are supported through the LuaSocket library, but serial connections must be added to (probably through ser2net, but that lacks a windows version AFAIK)
Todo: The demo is a single Lua file (which is totally crap code), and should be replaced by a Lua side object oriented framework to access and modify UPnP devices/controlpoints
Today I finished the first working sample of the new UPnP gateway I’ve been working on, a major milestone! Stepped out of .NET and changed to platform independent code and libraries. Punished myself with hardcore C, multi-threading and multi-platform all at once, but it all seems to start working now.
So what is it?
Its a Lua scripting engine, glued to the pupnp library. Lua is a small, fast and very portable dynamic scripting language and pupnp is a portable UPnP library. This creates an engine that will run on any platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, or even embedded on a NAS or your wifi router), while at the same time allowing users/developers to write code in Lua. So it takes away the need to do all the complex stuff in hardcore C, threading, platforms, etc. The Lua scripts will simply run on all platforms, unmodified.
Today I uploaded yet another update for the gateway and xPLGirder component. Mike C put it to the test and had a list findings, most are resolved now. Besides those bugfixes the component now also uses lua events (based on the component model) besides the regular Girder events. This should make it easier to develop lua code that works with the xPL component.
This post will try to explain how the UPnP devices can be controlled using Girder. By explaining some UPnP basics and at the same time create some example code to control a simple device. Continue reading